Once the ceiling panels were down, it became obvious
that this had been a long-standing problem. Boards had
water stains, a beam was rotting out, and the upstairs
floor was being supported by scrap wood.
I was wrong.
Here's the summary story: Four days after we moved into our 1906 new-to-us home, my best friend had the audacity to take a bath following a day of helping us unpack boxes. When she pulled the plug in the upstairs claw-foot tub, 50 gallons of water flowed around the plumbing, filled the space between the upstairs floor and downstairs ceiling, and rained from the dining room's coffers for 6 hours.
Sadly our disaster was declared a preexisting condition (in spite of our "clean" home inspection prior to purchase and a joke-of-a-home-warranty), so David and I were left to do several-thousand-dollars-worth of water abatement and repairs. We had no choice...if we wanted to retain our homeowners' insurance. Ugh.
I'm a big fan of silver linings, so in advance of this series of posts I'll admit that I'm happy with the cosmetic results. The dining room had professional repairs (meaning I got to have a hideous red dining room repainted by not-me) that have since informed my house's entire decor. The guest bathroom also had professional repairs, in addition to the Amanda-and-David upgrades (it is now waterproof thanks to over 2,000 tiles!).
Stay tuned to read the horror stories and see the beautiful results...